Friday, January 12, 2007

Owen Meany and One More Thing

I just finished A Prayer for Owen Meany last night. Thanks to a rough cold, and a week-long bout of insomnia, I read the last 150-plus pages of Owen last night, wrapping up around 3 a.m. I bawled. If you've read this amazing book, then you understand that throughout the entire book, you somewhat know the ending. But, it still doesn't prepare you. I felt like I'd lost a little piece of me! I have to admit, about halfway through, although I thoroughly loved the entire book, I was a bit frustrated with the length of time it was taking me to read. I have SO many books that I'm aching to read right now, that despite the quality of Owen, I was looking forward to getting to the last chapter and finally finding out what would happen. And now that I'm finished, I'm so disappointed that Owen Meany is not an actual human being in my world, and that it's all over. But it is. And now, it's back to the French Revolution I go. The Scarlet Pimpernel is the next book on my list. I've just gotten 4 pages in, and unfortunately, this is the hardest part of reading for me. I have a hard time getting myself hooked in the first chapter. I keep thinking maybe I should read something else. But, I'm committed. And, thankfully, this is the first book I've read in a long time, that is less than 500 pages. YAY! I had considered reading another book I got on the French Revolution called Citizens, but it is over 700 pages. And, I'm just not up for that right now. I'd like to get a few books knocked off before I tackle that. =) If I continue to follow my New Year's resolutions, I should be able to finish Scarlet Pimpernel in a week and a half!! Wish me luck!

One more thing?
THIS WEEKEND.
24.
JACK STINKIN' BAUER.

That's all.

No comments: