Saturday, January 13, 2007

Bold in the Cold

That was me this morning when I ran my first 5K!!
It's actually titled "Bold in the Cold".
Not only was I Bold in the Cold, I was Bold in the Cold WITH a cold, and a nasty crick in my neck from sleeping strangely. I woke at 6:30 this morning to see if the race was even going to happen, and found that 33 degrees with a pretty decent chance of freezing rain means nothing to these people. The race was ON! Back to bed I went, rationalizing that, it may be still on, but I had a nasty cold, not to mention that I felt like someone had stuck a steel rod through my neck up into my brain. NO race for me. But as soon as I put those warm, comfy covers back on, I felt like a slacker. I kept thinking of what people would say if I told them I didn't do it, b/c it was cold, and I didn't feel good. Not to mention the fact that I would be completely disappointed in myself. And, honestly, for once, it was more for my own sense of accomplishment and satisfaction that I leaped out of bed at the last minute to change and brush my teeth. I would not let myself back out this time.
The race started at 8 a.m., and I got there about 7:45. My cousin, Seth, was supposed to run with me, but he had to bail because of a "small group leaders' meeting". uh-huh. So, I was all by my lonesome self. And since I drove off with the carseat, Niles couldn't come and bring Reese to meet me at the finish line. That was probably the most disappointing factor of this entire morning. But, what can you do. I know he feels really bad.

So, I signed up, got my number, 607, and started stretching and wondering how many of these fanatics had been running daily for months in an effort to leave us first-timers heaving in our own dust. We lined up, and took off. It was bloody freezing. My hands were like ice and bright red. When I hit the half-mile mark, I was relieved. I knew I could make it. I realized at the turnaround point, when I saw the first batch of people passing us on their way to the finish line, that I wasn't doing too shabby. I was probably towards the front of the middle batch of people, and that was OK with me. My biggest goal was to actually run the entire way, and not come in last.

I DID IT! I ran the entire 3.2 miles, and my finishing time was 26:46!! That means around 8:50 for each mile. Only because of the .2, of course. SO, I am pretty pleased with myself. When I got home, Niles had made little posters for he and Reese to hold up for me. =) I really wish they could have been at the finish line. That definitely would have been a wonderful sight to see... But, hey, it's NOT my last 5K.

But it WAS my FIRST!!!!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

2 comments:

lindsayloo said...

thanks!
yeah, thought i would represent. =)
hahaha

Jess said...

Come on it's been days since I've read a Lindsay blog!