Monday, October 02, 2006

Austin and Danity Kane!!!






So. Rewind 6 or 7 years ago... to a time when I wasn't married, didn't know my husband at all, and wasn't going to college or doing anything particularly important. If I knew then what I know now, I would pick up and move to austin, texas.
This weekend was my first time to go and spend any amount of time there. Me, and some girlfriends (Lynds, Amy, Meredith my sister-in-law, and Rebecca) went down for the night and had so much fun. We got a hotel room at the Doubletree Suites on 15th St., got margaritas and dinner at the Iron Cactus, and perused 6th St. for fun, dancing, and free stuff, which is actually freakishly common. I truly think we paid for maybe 1 drink the entire night. (Besides those at the restaurant) It was a blast. And, although extremely extremely girly, I really enjoyed my cherry vodka sour. These are the girly-drink type of girls, and when in Rome... ya know.

Anyways, the TRUE, and embarrassing, purpose behind our trip was for me to go to the autograph signing of Danity Kane. In case you haven't read my previous blog about my SERIOUS case of nerdish behaviour, Danity Kane is the band from Making the Band 3, of which I became ridiculously obsessed. I will admit that the name of the band is absurd, but i still love those girls. I feel as though I have been with them through the trials and tribulations, girlfights, and stage frights, of becoming what they are today: a reality-tv-show-turned-reality-music-stars-not-yet-widely-known-but-gorgeous-and-extremely-talented-and-here's-to-hoping. Anywhoo, I was the only one of our little girly bunch to care about this experience, but Lyndsay was kind enough to pretend that she wanted to go with me to wait in line and experience the greatness of Danity Kane up close and personal. (Just in case you might be doubting their greatness, their song "Showstopper" debuted very well, and their CD hit number one... O-KAYYY. To be honest, the music is not exactly what I enjoy... but fearless, absolute loyalty is one of my greatest strengths.)
The signing was to take place at Nordstrom from 10 am to noon... I knew in my gut that I should get up at 5 am and go to the store to wait patiently while reading a book or something, but after getting in at 3 am the previous evening, I chose to let Lynds and myself get a little beauty sleep and we didn't leave until 9:30. BIG mistake. The line was a century long, and to my defense, full of ALL kinds of people; not only 13 and 14 year olds, like I expected/dreaded. So we waited in line for 20-30 minutes, before moving an inch. Then we received "the tips" for meeting Danity Kane.
1. Please note that due to the popularity of Danity Kane (MTV's Making the Band 3 - which is good that they put that, despite the insane popularity) we cannot guarantee that you will be able to meet them in person
2. In an effort to have them meet as many of their fans as possible, we are providing the following to keep the line moving quickly... They will only be able to sign a Danity Kane photo that will be provided to you at the signing desk, or their CD, WHILE SUPPLIES LAST (which they didn't, because they ran out before they got to me)
3. They will autograph items but will not be able to personalize them with names.
4. NO PHOTOS.

Okay, first of all... NO PHOTOS!?!?!? Are you kidding me?! I understand prohibiting personal photos with them, but not even to be able to take them from afar??? ridiculous. And they were hard-core about it, too. we saw someone taking a picture with his camera, and the security guard jumped all over him.

Secondly, the fact that they ran out of material to sign before they even got to me, just pissed me right off. Especially since I only wanted a poster, not an album. So, one more reason that made waiting in line less desirable.

Thirdly, the girls were going to leave AT noon. They weren't going to just stop the line at noon, they would actually be gone. SO, the fact that our part of the line had not moved for 30 minutes, did not give us a good shot. This was the straw the broke the camel's back. Lynds and I decided just to go inside the mall, and at least see if we could get a glimpse of the band. We did! Not a great view, though. They were blocked from the front by huge black security guards, and there were MANY of them. It was actually a little excessive, even in the opinion of one who adores them. So, we got a good side view of them. I saw Shannon and Wanita's faces, and Aubrey from the side view... And Dawn turned around once, but Aundrea we only saw from the back. FYI, there's no need to point out how lame it is that I know them all by name, thank you. Aubrey was SOOO freakin' tiny! And normally she looks so cool and stylish, and I guess she kind of did, but she had this silky pink scarf around her head, and her hair in a side, low ponytail with a clip. She also had on a ton of makeup. Anyways, no doubt about it, it was great to see them in person. But, in some ways, a bit of a disappointment. I should have followed my gut feeling and gotten there at 5 am. I would have been happy enough to sit there reading magazines for several hours.
But, I have to give great thanks to my girls, who, though completely uninterested in my band, love me enough to give in to a trip to Austin just for me. =)

No comments: