Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Push, Push, Push!!!!

No, I'm not referring to labor. Although, before boot camp, the last time I had used the word "push" frequently was in reference to that blessed event. No. Now I'm referring to what it is I am doing to myself on a nearly daily basis. I've had 3 boot camp classes now, and I have learned a great deal about myself through this experience thus far.

The first class was with Jay Johnson. (jaysbootcamp.com, if you're interested) We started off with a "warm up" lap up and down stairs and around the halls. Then followed that with push-ups, abs, lunges, weights, and more running up and down stairs. This is the class where I got sick. My second class was Saturday morning at 8am, with his wife, who just looks spectacular, even in a sweatshirt and running pants. This class was outside, and we were in the huge parking lot, having to run the length of parking lot we were in, back and forth a few times to start off. Then we split up in teams divided up by the length of time it takes us to run a mile. Well, since I had no idea what my mile-time is, I figured it was on the lower end, and I went with the twelve-minute-mile group. Which, clearly, was the very last group. =) Call me an overachiever. Anyways, we had to do some horrendous squat-jump-with-medicine-ball things for-EVER, followed with a .75 mile run. Last night was my third class. Again, outside. For our WARM-UP, he led us in a few stretches, all of 2 minutes long, and told us to run a mile. ?!?!?! So, I took off running. I ran the ENTIRE way!! And my time was 9:38!!! Can I tell you how good that feels considering I haven't run an entire mile in at least 5 or 6 years?! Anyways, we then did 30 solid minutes, no breaks, no water, no stopping, of squatting, running, leg lifts, running, extremely hard ab work, running... We would do push-ups for a solid minute, then get up and run for 1-2 minutes, do squatthrusts for a minute, then run for 1-2 minutes again... It was INSANE. But I am LOVING IT!!!!!

After only 3 classes, I feel like a different person. I feel like I know how to work hard, to push myself... I feel excited to go to each class and see what new challenge they will have for me. Today, I was planning on going to the 6am class, but after last night, I figured I would take it easy, get up with Reese... So, when she went down for a nap, I went out and ran/walked my 3 mile route, then came back and did pushups for a minute, abs for a minute, etc. I think I may be in the zone!! Now I know that my body can do so much more than I allow it to do, or convince it to do. It's all in my mind!! I feel SO strong, and so proud of myself for meeting the challenge in front of me, and working myself as hard as I can. Whether I never went back to boot camp or not, I've already taken something away from this experience that nothing else has ever given me. I feel like if I keep going, which I plan on doing - especially since it gets cheaper each consecutive time you go, I will have more confidence, more stamina, more endurance, and more belief in myself.

I would encourage anyone and everyone to do something like this. There are not all skinny and in-shape people in my class, as well. It's all different kinds of folks... big, small, skinny, down-right large even!! And it is encouraging to see people of all kinds, pushing themselves and trying to better their lives and their health. I'm inspired by them!! And it keeps me on my toes...
Anyways, if you can find something like this in your area, don't assume you can't do it... You are so much more capable than you think!!! TRUST ME, I know. =)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so how do we get into something like this? i'm marathon training again, but if my flat feet give out, i'd like to have a B plan.

susy

lindsayloo said...

jaysbootcamp.com
that's the website I went to... it's a little bit confusing, but the basic idea is when you register for a semester, which is four weeks, you pay for a minimum of 3 classes per week, and you register at a designated location. But once you do register, you can go to any location and as many times a week as you want to, without paying any additional money! it's pricey, but it's so worth it, and if you go consecutive semesters, it is cheaper. It's the best thing I've ever done for myself, I really believe that. Come with me! I need a buddy!!