Wednesday, February 28, 2007

A Room with A View

So, I'm giving up. No more projected reading lists!! I can make lists all day, but what does it matter?!?! I cannot follow a book list to save my life. There are just way too many books to read, and not nearly enough hours in the day!

I just finished A Room with A View, which was definitely not on my reading list. But, I'm one who takes cues from good writers. There's a blogspot I read regularly, although I will not disclose whose b/c it's embarrassing, and if this person recommends a book, I will at least check it out. As I've said before, if someone writes well, I tend to trust their literary taste. In this case, it was definitely a great recommendation! Room with a View was a book I wanted to read a long time ago, and completely forgot about it. So, after reading the 600 page Owen Meany, I was in the mood for something a little less ambitious and time-consuming. I'm really trying to keep to my "finish a book a month" resolution. Rw/aV is a little over 200 pages. Perfect.

I'm not good at description, so I will list a few things that I think sum it up...
1. Jane Austen-like humor and wit
2. coming-of-age
3. spot-on characterization, and I would almost guarantee that you could compare every character in this book to someone in your own life, which makes it all the more amusing

For the first time I actually laughed out loud while reading a classic. I mean, there are parts in Pride and Prejudice and others that made me laugh inside, or smirk a little to myself, but I literally laughed out loud an extended laugh!!

No comments: