Thursday, February 22, 2007

TAKE ACTION!

Over the past few months, I have had Oprah set on my DVR every day. I don't always watch, but if it's a topic that I feel interested in or strongly about, I definitely watch.
I just finished watching yesterday's show about kidnapping and pedophilia. It was a heartbreaking show. Literally, it has gotten me so fired up and so frustrated with America's inability to really punish these sick criminals.
It's too much to talk about in one blog, and honestly, I am pretty emotionally drained from watching!! BUT, I am certainly going to take action in one way that I can. There is an act that the National Coalition of Exploited Children was pushing called the Adam Walsh Act. Basically, it would mean consistent, country-wide laws forcing much harsher penalties and restrictions on the offenders. On Oprah.com you can search for the Adam Walsh act, and it gives you a few links for how to contact your Congressman and your Senator to write them and encourage them to enact this law.

I know most of the people who read my blog have children and would be as heartbroken as I was watching Oprah's show yesterday. You can actually watch the episode on her website. Anyways, I would really encourage you to at least send these letters to our government. Or at the VERY least, go and watch this episode on oprah.com, and I promise you, you will want to actively respond as soon as possible.
Here's the link to the letters:
http://search.oprah.com:7782/search/search_results.jsp?querystring=ADAM%20WALSH%20ACT&fromSearchPage=yes

I seriously encourage every mother, every parent, every adult (period!) to take action. This is not something we should be sitting back and just praying won't happen to us. We have to do something to ensure the safety of our children and grandchildren, and the children of our entire world. This is not an issue that goes away for them... It's an experience that, in some form, stays forever. Why should the criminals get any less than a lifetime as well?

No comments: