Wednesday, November 08, 2006

In Response... 

Okay, so earlier I wrote a blog about what I recommend for November... Basically, some things I have tried and have worked for me, and THAT IS WHY I RECOMMEND THEM. Because they WORK FOR ME. I recommended the book Babywise for new parents, or just parents in general, and  I received a comment from someone I dont know, referring me to two websites that are basically created for the sole purpose of turning people away from Babywise.  

Since I did say in my blog that I realize babywise is not for everyone, I think it's safe to say that I realize that,... babywise is not for everyone!! And that's okay. Now that I'm a mom, and I understand that every person's child is different, their families are different, their lifestyles are different, and so on, I also understand that no matter what anyone says to me, if my baby is healthy and happy and progressing as should be, then whatever parenting style I'm using is working for me!!! SO, to all you non-babywise believers out there, TRUST ME, I am not uneducated, unwise, or unconcerned about my baby's welfare just because I use a parenting style you choose not  to conform to. Not all of use have to believe the same thing, and that is what makes this world so interesting, right?! Not every parent that uses Dr. Ezzo's methods are starved and malnourished, and if, in fact, they are, then the parents are the ones who are ineffective, NOT the parenting style. Just to put a few final nails in the coffin of this blog, if you don't believe that Babywise is all about flexibility, and not only Parentally-directing your child's feeding schedule, but responding to your baby's needs appropriately, you might want to actually read the book, and here are a few pages to help you out:: PP. 64-66, p.74, pp.35-36, just to name a few.  
"The parents' role is that of mediating between both the cue and the clock, the variable and constant, using parental assessment to decide when to feed based on actual need." p. 37

One final note, just to sum it all up... I would say that at least 75% of my friends have adhered in some form or fashion to the Babywise method, including a family friend who has TEN children, and probably pregnant again at this moment. While every baby is different, personality-wise, for the most part, they are all still on a schedule, very happy, and very healthy, both in weight and development.  I would also like to say that, I did not enter into this decision to use Babywise lightly. In fact, I probably read WAY TOO many books in my search for the right way to go about this motherhood thing.  I do not have a problem with ANYONE who does not agree with my life choices, but since this IS my blog, and I can be as defensive as I want to be, =), I thought I would respond!! I would probably never opt to go on to someone else's blog (much less someone I don't even know) and proceed to send them to a website that directly opposes what they just wrote about. But that's just me. And maybe it's only because it is a topic as intimate and personal and unique as parenting that it gets me all hot and bothered... I'm still a new mom, only 9 months as of today, but I ADORE motherhood, and I would NEVER choose to do something I felt was not healthy or helpful for my little girl. As I'm sure my reader would never do either. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go girl! Well said. I think thats crazy that strangers read the blogs of people they dont know. Geez, get a life people. As for Babywise, EVERYWHERE I go I am constantly complimented on how good Caleb is and folks are blown away that hes almost 2, sleeps at about 13 hours a night, and takes a 3 hour nap. BABYWISE BABY!!!!
For those who dont agree with it, too bad for you!

lindsayloo said...

I wrote a blog in response to this one, too... NOT a mean one. =)
And, I wasn't really TRYING to be mean, well... just read my response. I'M NOT A MEAN GIRL!! =)

Beth said...

Oh good- another pro-babywiser! My baby and I do babywise too, and while he did cry a bit more for a couple of weeks while he learned to take naps on his own, I would bet money that he cries much, much less than a baby that must indicate to his mother when he is tired and when he is hungry.