Thursday, November 13, 2008

Girls and Boys

This morning, after my long blog episode below, I watched as my two favorite people displayed two similar and yet distinct characteristics of women/girls and men/boys. Very interesting...

Niles, my nearly 28-year-old husband of 6 years is sick. But apparently so sick that it has reduced him to an infantile state. Apparently it is normal for adult men to regress substantially when inflicted by a sore throat and "sore skin" (niles' words). =)

Reese was happy as a clam when she woke up this morning. Smiling and content, she walked over to the kitchen table and started coloring while I made her breakfast: blueberry waffles and strawberries. As soon as I brought her food over, on her pretty pink plate with her pink plastic flamingo fork, she immediately stopped coloring, pulled her security blankie near and pushed away her plate of food. Bewildered and a bit frustrated I must admit, I chose to ignore the sudden moodswing and continue on with the rest of our morning routine.

Not content with that small display of discontent, Reese hopped down from her booster seat at the table and walked over to Niles, lying desperately on the couch. She stood there staring at him for a few minutes, with a mixture of emotions on her face, and without warning put her tiny hands on each cheek and burst into tears.

Eventually she made her way back to her plate of carbs and sugary syrup and went right back to smiling.

I tell you, this is not too different from an average evening between Niles and I.

3 comments:

THZ said...

OMG, very cute story! Also, my hubby is the same way... my strong husband who is always in a steady happy mood turns to the BIGGEST baby when he is sick. It really annoys me to be honest... and he knows it. How can grown men be such whimps... OK and one thing is for sure.. this is why WE have the babies... they couldn't take it for ONE minute! =) Is this not so true??

Rebekah said...

Enjoying your stories ... and the new color :)

Jackie Sue said...

It was funny in person and even funnier reading about it! Hey--can I borrow the Twilight book? Randomly I really want to see the movie.